Hein (fub) wrote,
Hein
fub

  • Mood:

Nobilis case

One of the lessons in the bookbinding course was the making of a case for a book. A hardcover book, with a round spine -- a book that is worth to be housed in a case. Looking through my bookcase (pun intended), I noticed I didn't have that many hardcovers. But one of the few that I have, caught my eye: the Great White Book edition of the Nobilis RPG. A very attractive book, almost square in size, white, with a photo of the Sphinx Mysterieux of Charles Verstappen on the cover. Sure that book deserves to be in a case! (The Wiki article on Nobilis has a photo of the (front of the) cover.)

One of the tricks we learned was to make a round indentation so that you can easily grasp the book when taking it out of the case. But that would mean that you'd grab the book by the lips of the statue, so to speak -- and the most striking feature of the cover is the face of the statue. So I decided to cut out the face, so that you'd see it from outside of the case -- a decision I came to regret later... I did have a beige-like linen in stock, so I decided to use that for the outside of the case.
Using a caliper, I took the measurements of the book. This has to be precise on a tenth of a millimeter: you want a case that fits snug, but not too snug: you have to get the book out of the case too! But if you line the inside of the case with paper (which I did), then you have to take the thickness of the paper into account as well! That means lots of calculations (hooray for spreadsheets!) and very, very precise cutting and glueing.


The finished case, with the book inside.


The book half out of the case.


For the back, I cut out the outline of the helm. This was a lot of work, and all the sharp angles didn't help with covering the side of the board with linen! You can also see that the case covers the book until half of the space between the spine and the cover (in Dutch it's called "kneep", I don't know the English bookbinding jargon...).


The side of the board is covered with a thin strip of linen that I cut to create a rounding. The front of the board is covered with the same linen. Using a sharp knife, I cut out the shape of the hole...


This was actually the hardest part: getting linen on all the bare edges of the board.


I used drawing paper to trace the logo, and used my gilding pen to recreate the logo on roughly the same spot. Of course, I made sure that the logo wasn't at an angle before I began!

I'm quite proud of the end result. It's quite unique, which also presented me with unique challenges. I learned a lot from this. And my bookbinding teacher was satisfied with the result too!
Tags: craft
Subscribe

  • Full HD on the MACH F

    The MACH F has been quietly churning away on our anime mountain without any problem. The resolution of the PC is set to the native resolution of the…

  • Getting it all to work

    So, wednesday I booted back into Windows to modify my MediaCenter software. The MACH F can be used with only the remote control, but the housing for…

  • A penny saved is a penny earned

    Through a bit of hassle, we 'saved' EUR 150 today. Today, the new television would be delivered. Last saturday we bought it in a brick-and-mortar…

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 12 comments

  • Full HD on the MACH F

    The MACH F has been quietly churning away on our anime mountain without any problem. The resolution of the PC is set to the native resolution of the…

  • Getting it all to work

    So, wednesday I booted back into Windows to modify my MediaCenter software. The MACH F can be used with only the remote control, but the housing for…

  • A penny saved is a penny earned

    Through a bit of hassle, we 'saved' EUR 150 today. Today, the new television would be delivered. Last saturday we bought it in a brick-and-mortar…