Instead of something boring like a piece of lace to tie the two boards tightly together, I decided to try a suggestion from klik and make a cuff! When I said this, my bookbinding teacher was very happy with me, because I try a lot of new things where I make a lot of new mistakes. I'm not sure I'm taking that as a compliment, but at least I get a lot of instruction for my money. ;)
I've made a mosaic with small plastic tiles in the cuff. The back of the cuff has a bright orange stripe. The rest is covered with the same dark blue linen as I used for the boards. This is the end result, but getting there was quite a journey!
Let's start with the basics: the leporello itself.
The segments are made of cream-colored 'photo paper stock', quite heavy. The boards are 14x19 cm, with dark blue linen on the edges and lovely washi (own import from Japan) on top.
The washi is dark blue with white, silver and gold flowers on top. And as you can see, the whole thing is quite thick when it's not constrained.
I made the cuff of 3mm thick board. The plastic tiles are 2mm thick, so I used 1mm thick board (if you can call it that, because it isn't stiff at all) to put the tiles on.
First step: decide on a design! Not only the size, but also which colors would go together with the washi on the boards and how to fill the space.
Second step: Glue the tiles onto the 1mm board. I used tweezers to manipulate the tiles and put them in the right spot. Complicating factor was the fact that not all tiles were exactly the same size...
All done! Time to let the glue dry.
Now cut a 2mm thick board to cover that -- because the tiles are 2mm thick, they will be flush with the top of the board. "Inlaid", so to speak. Measure the size of the mosaic and cut that out of the other board.
Now prepare the linen, and leave some space open for the mosaic. You also want to fold the linen over the exposed edges of the top board, so as to not show any 'bare' board.
Now glue the thin board to the back of the thick board, and the mosaic is done! However, the rest of the cuff was a lot of work too: making the bare cuff wasn't so big a problem, but getting the linen everywhere and making it look even remotely good was a lot of work!
The final result. I spent all of my Sunday on this...