?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Dec. 23rd, 2011 @ 03:01 pm Booklet
Current Mood: okayokay
Tags:
Two weeks back, I bought a colour laser printer. I saw it pass by on a shopping site, and for EUR 70 including shipping, the price was pushed down enough to slip into my 'well, let's just try that once'-range. I've been thinking about colour laser printers for some time now, but with a perfectly servicable monochrome laser printer already at our disposal, I couldn't justify a EUR 100+ expense on another printer.

Installation was incredibly painless -- I plugged it in, and Calcifer correctly determined the make and model (it's another Samsung) and installed the driver for me, without any manual intervention. Installing on the Windows machine required installing the driver from the CD...
And then it was time to do a few test prints. Photos come out pretty nicely, though of course not on par with good prints with a professional photo printer on photo paper. As a test, I also ran the PDF of the Pathfinder Jade Regent player's guide through it -- took a long time for it to be processed, but if you're in a hurry you shouldn't print in colour anyway. ;)
It all came out pretty nicely, actually. The text is sharp and clear. Of course, it's single sided -- I might have to experiment with printer margins to see if I can make a 'manual dual sided print' by flipping the paper and printing on the backside of that, but that's something for a different time.

So now I had a stack of printed paper. I had already made booklets from the guides, but those were printed in greyscale -- so why not make another booklet? It turned out that these 28 pages turn into a stack of 3mm thick (I use 90 gram paper, slightly thicker than 'regular' paper which is 80 grams). I lumbecked them together and then used a small strip of brown linen to make a spine for the booklet. Worked quite well, but I'm not sure I'd want to make a 200 page book in the same way.


The front. Curiously enough, the title page is sized differently from the rest of the pages, so I had to retain strips of whitespace on the top and the bottom. Also, the left-hand side of the paper retained it's margin as well, I made good use of that when lumbecking! ;)


The booklet open somewhere in the middle. As you can see: single sided print. I'm not sure the spine will stand up to folding, but so far it holds up quite well.


Close-up of the top of the spine. The strip of linen is 15 mm wide: 3mm for the back, 6mm on the front and back. And it's actually brown, but it goes so nicely with the greenish cover that it looks green itself.

That was a nice small project, and I even got to use my Japanese paperweight (a piece of hand-smoked bamboo)!
About this Entry
juggling
[User Picture Icon]
From:merle_
Date:December 23rd, 2011 05:15 pm (UTC)
(Permanent Link)
Looks nice!

One of the reasons I loved going to my grandfather's office was his paper. I have no idea what it weighed, but most paper here is about 20% rag content, and he bought 80% rag content. It felt thicker and much nicer to use. I bought some for personal use a while back, but my sad laser printer from two decades ago has trouble feeding it through the automatic feeder (manual seems to work for some reason).
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture Icon]
From:fub
Date:December 27th, 2011 10:46 am (UTC)
(Permanent Link)
It's sad that most printers are made for 80gr paper. I like the slightly heavier paper for the booklets that I make.
We have a lot of paper (most of it is chiyogami imported from Japan), but we use those for book covers, because it's just too expensive and too beautiful to do anything else with.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)