When we were in Kyoto, we went to flea market. I came away with two pins: one I bought, and this one that was given to me by a friendly old man. It's a stylised cherry blossom: off-white petals and red stamen.
I wanted to make a stamp of it -- but it had to be a multi-colored one. As an experiment, I was curious whether I could pull off multi-impression, multi-color stamping. I took the scan of the pin and separated it into three parts: the petals, the stamen and the border. I made sure to create a border around the designs that was exactly the same size.
This is what I ended up with. You can see that the three stamps are of equal size and (somewhat) aligned. Normally I would cut the stamp with the stamen a lot smaller -- the extra 'empty' space will only leave traces on the paper with the impression, but this time that was impossible. I had to keep the three stamps of equal size.
I tooled up to get the stamps in exactly the same place. Here you see the impression of the petals. Next to that an already completed stamp.
Once again, I used fluid chalk ink. The petals in pink pastel, the stamen in warm red and the border in creamy brown. The petals should have been a tad lighter, but I didn't have anything else.
After putting in the stamen. It's not perfectly aligned, but close enough.
I made ten cards. That was a lot of work: ten times five sakura times three impressions. And because the stamps had to be perfectly aligned, I couldn't do all the petals first and then the stamen.
Five have been sent through private exchanges, five will be used for Postcrossing.
All in all, I am quite pleased with the outcome of the experiment.