1. Which anime character do you identify with most and why?
Tough one. Notable anime characters are pretty heroic, and I'm not. I tend to identify with particular emotions of some characters, but not the characters themselves.
If I have to choose, I'll choose Noboru from Voices of a Distant Star.
2. Name the best anime you've watched in the past three years.
3. Say you're introducing someone to anime. What are the first three animes you would make them watch, what order would you have them watch it in, and why?
- Escaflowne (the TV series). It has fantasy, a romance plot, and (transformable!) mecha -- triple whammy!
- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. You got to have a Ghibli movie in there, and this one I like the best -- typical Miyazaki fare.
- Kokoro Library. It has almost no plot, but has lots of cute girls doing cute things and learning profound lessons about Life.
After that, this hypothetical anime n00b will be able to pick their next series with a bit more background. Hopefully they will be able to predict if they will like a particular series after that.
4. What's your favorite anime song? It can be anything, from an OP, ED, BGM, or any other random song that was on the soundtrack but not in the anime for various reasons.
Tough one -- it varies. I do tend to return to songs by Maaya Sakamoto every once in a while -- she is my favourite singer. From all her songs, the one that resonates most strongly with me is Yubiwa, the ending song of the Escaflowne movie.
5. You win a free trip to Japan for a week. Where would you go visit and why?
Is travel within Japan also free? If so:
- Tokyo. Visit the Meiji Shrine again, and visit several areas that we missed or didn't spend enough time in, such as Akihabara, Shinjuku, Harajuku.
- Kyoto. Visit some temples, which we skipped on last time, because we were a bit overfed with temples and shrines.
- Nikko. Visit the Tokugawa shrine again, and hike a bit through the mountains there.
- Hakone. Hike through the mountains.
- Tsumago. Walk a bit of the old tribute road.
- Somewhere on Hokkaido.
Hmmm. That all will probably take more than a week. :(
If you'd like me to interview you:
1. Leave me a casual comment of no particular significance, like a lyric to your current favorite song, or your favorite kind of sandwich, maybe your favorite game. Any remark, meaningless or not.
2. I will respond by asking you five personal questions so I can get to know you better.
3. Update your LJ with the answers to the questions.
4. Include this explanation and offer to ask someone else in your own post.
5. When others respond with a desultory comment, you will ask them five questions.