Of course, we get lots of Web 2.0 hype along with the project. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see this whole 'wave' thing happening. I see linear progression from the start until now -- stuff gets invented, other people add to that stuff, and it goes on and on and on. It's not like we suddenly make completely different websites than we used to -- we just use a few new techniques in addition to what we already did.
In my view, Web 2.0 doesn't exist. It's more like Web 0.999999 -- just like LaTeX is slowly progressing in version to e, and TeX is slowly converging to pi. There will probably never be a version 3.0 of LaTeX, because development right now simply adds to the existing shell, not a complete rebuild.
However, due to this being a Web 2.0 project, I proposed we used a wiki for requirements management. There will be multiple 'owners' of specific subsets of functionality. Right now, it's a Word document that, at any given time, is being editted by multiple people. Even if you use something like Sharepoint, you will get versioning conflicts, even if people have been editting separate sections of the document.
A great way to step around this problem is to use a wiki. A functionality is a single wiki page, everybody always has the latest version available, and collaboration is a lot easier.
Me and my big mouth. My proposal was accepted, and now I have to install a wiki and worry about security and all that sort of stuff...
I use WAMPServer at home to build the webshop, so I already had a WAMP-stack available to experiment with. It runs on Windows XP Pro, which is exactly what it will have to run on in the early stages of the project (just a machine tucked away somewhere, not even an official development server or something like that, because we have to be flexible).
So this morning I downloaded the MediaWiki, which is the software the Wikipedia runs. Fortunately, it uses PHP and MySQL, and after unzipping a file and a few mouse clicks, I succeeded in installing the software. And another round of reading through the documentation allowed me to close the wiki off for non-logged-in users, and to enable file uploads.
Our CMS is a servlet, so I also researched how to connect Apache to Tomcat under windows. I hope I have enough time on tuesday morning to install all that stuff...
I like tinkering with stuff like that. Especially if other people already did the hard work for me and all it takes is a bit of tweaking of configuration files!