Apparently the new version of the WMP allows you to 'grade' your songs and does this automatically, but it has a rather large footprint. And, being the hacker that I am, I thought of how this could be done. I present to you the following specification:
- At first, you set up your lists, as many as you want.
- Then, you fill each list with MP3's from your harddisk.
- Next, you define the relative chances of selecting a file from each of these lists (i.e. A-list: 50%, B-list: 30%, C-list: 20%).
- Next, you define how many songs must lie before a played song will rotate back into the list, for each list (i.e. A-list: 10 songs, B-list: 20 songs, C-list: 50 songs).
- Next, you define how many songs must lie between songs by the same artist and/or album, for each list.
I have Googled a bit, and I have found all the components I will need to make such a program (talking to WinAmp, reading ID3-tags etc.). I might make this program, if there is enough interest.
OK, I know what I'll be doing this evening. ;) And it'll be Open Source, so no payment needed!